Later firmware versions v3.9.2 and above for the Vigor2862 (ac/ Vac) and v3.9.3 for Vigor2926 (ac/ Vac) now have the Wi-Fi Mesh feature which includes Wired Mesh uplink mode. This is used when the Wi-Fi router is configured as a mesh root and VigorAP mesh nodes are connected via a LAN cable.
When to use Mesh Wired Uplink
Two examples of when to use Mesh Wired uplink are:
- Creating a mesh network which includes both wired and wireless connections. This can be from outdoor wireless AP mesh nodes to an indoor VigorAP mesh root which is wired to the Internet gateway.
- When the VigorAP is powered by PoE from a switch. The Switch will provide both power and data to the access point which will cause a loop between the wireless and wired connections. Enabling the Wired Uplink option will prevent this Loop.
Step 1: Find VigorAP IP address
When the VigorAP is attached to the Vigor Router by LAN cable, it automatically switches to AP mode and will be allocated an IP address via DHCP. Use the following method to find the access point IP address
- Log into the DrayTek Vigor router
- Go to Diagnostics>>ARP Table menu
- Locate the matching MAC Address in the table and its corresponding IP Address.
- Use this IP address to connect to the access point in Step 2 below.
Step 2: Switch to Mesh node mode
Log into the access point using the IP address found in step 1 above.
If the access point is at factory default settings log in using the default username and password (admin/admin).
Using Quick Start Wizard
Click on the Quick Start Wizard menu to change the Operation Mode of the access point.
For Operation Mode select Mesh Node from the pull-down menu.
Click on Next Step and Finish to save the changes.
Click on Operation Mode menu to check that the settings have been saved and the Access Point is now configured as Mesh Node.
Step 3: Change Connection Mode to Wired Uplink
- Go to Mesh >> Mesh Setup,
- Select “Wired Uplink” option
- click OK to save
Step 4: Add Mesh Node to Router Wi-Fi Mesh
Log into the Vigor Router
Go to Mesh>>Mesh Setup menu
- Ensure Enable Mesh option is selected
- Click on Search to discover all available access points (Both wired and wireless devices will appear in the list)
- Select the wired access point to add to the Mesh Group
- Click on Apply to save the setting
- You can add the device name for the selected access point if you wish
Step 5: Check Wi-Fi Mesh Status
Go to Mesh>>Mesh Status on the Vigor Router and check the Download field shows Ethernet.
In the VigorAP, check the uplink field shows Ethernet.