The Vigor2820 IPPBX is a Dual-WAN router with two WAN Interfaces (1 x ADSL and 1 x Ethernet WAN). The Dual WAN Ports allow you to connect to two separate network connections for automatic failover and load balance.
Load Balance Function
With multiple WAN connections, you will get the effective combined Dual-WAN speeds for all LAN users when both WAN1 and WAN2 are UP. The traffic will be routed according to the Load-Balance Policy.
Assuming you have you 2 links, one is ADSL2+ connected directly to WAN1 and a second ADSL connection to WAN2 via an external ADSL modem
Refer to the steps below to setup your Vigor router.
- Connect DSL lines to both WAN1 and WAN2
- Open the Web configurator and go to WAN >> General Setup.
3. Configure Load Balance Mode. If you know the real speed of both lines (WAN1 / WAN2), select According to Line Speed. If you have no idea about the line speed, please just select Auto Weight. Vigor router will automatically detect the maximum available bandwidth.
Note: By monitoring real time speed of both WAN connections, the Dual-WAN Gateway will establish new sessions based on the ratio of the amount of the remaining available bandwidth.
4. Click the WAN1 link. Choose Always On for Active Mode. If you know the real speed of the lines, please enter the speed value (you have to select According to Line Speed as Load Balance Mode)
5. Click the WAN2 link. Choose Always On for Active Mode. If you know the real speed of the line, please enter the speed value (you have to select According to Line Speed as Load Balance Mode).
6. Click OK to save and exit.
Load Balance Mechanism
How traffic will be routed is determined by the Load Balance mechanism. The diagram below shows how Vigor router decides the WAN interface for each packet.
Load Balance Policy Application
Load Balance Policy is a method of binding specific traffic (such as https traffic) to a particular WAN for the duration of a session. Some applications (HTTPS, FTP, VoIP, Terminal Services, Mail, etc) are sensitive to public IP address. They will monitor if your IP changes and log you out if your IP is changed.
The example below shows how to setup the Load Balance Policy for HTTPS traffic to go through WAN1.
- Log into the Web configurator of 2820 IPPBX. Go to WAN >> Load Balance Policy.
- Click the Index number 1.
- Enable this policy. Select TCP as the Protocol. Type the value 443 in the field of Dest Port Start/Dest Port End. Select WAN1 as Binding WAN Interface. Source IP address (Src IP Start/End) and destination IP address (Dest IP Start/End) are left blank which mean any IP address. Then press OK.